“Millicent (37°35′S, 140°21′E) is a small town in South Australia, 412 km south-east of Adelaide, and 50 km north of Mount Gambier. The town is home to the Millicent National Trust Museum, and is nearby to the Tantanoola Caves Conservation Park and the Canunda National Park.”

Zoom in on Image,_South_Australia

Lazerzap's Travel Googlemaps - Millicent


Millicent is a quiet country town in the South East of South Australia. It boasts 3 major food supermarkets and a Target store. A doctors medical practice with quite a few doctors.


A police presence in the town with an office on the main street. 3 pubs. A few chemist shops. A few hairdressing salons. A couple of hardware shops. A couple of car dealers. 2 computer shops. About 5 service stations. A few take away food places.

Basically Millicent is exactly like many small town centers across Australia.

Millicent History - From Heritage Australia

Prior Settlement

Prior to white settlement the Bungandidj Aboriginal people are thought to have inhabited the area. Land was first taken up in the region by Samuel Davenport in 1845, who established the ‘Mayurra’ run. Pioneer George Glen became the manager of the property.

In 1854 Glen married Millicent Sophia Short, the daughter of Adelaide’s first Anglican bishop. When the town was surveyed in 1870 it was named in her honour.

Somerset Hotel

The Somerset Hotel (1872) was the first hotel to open at the townsite. This was also the location of a court hearing where a number of locals were charged with looting after the ‘Geltwood’ sank off Rivoli Bay in 1876. The accused were all acquitted of the charge. Though the hotel is still in business, the building is far from the original structure.


In 1876 a narrow (1067 mm) gauge line was built from Kingston SE to Naracoorte. In 1879, a railway was built between Beachport, Millicent and Mount Gambier. In 1887 a line was built from Mount Gambier to Naracoorte and Wolseley, with a branch line from Wandilo to Glencoe, creating a break-of-gauge junction with the Adelaide-Melbourne line at Wolseley.

A broad gauge branch was opened from Mount Gambier to Heywood near Portland in 1917. From 1953 to 1956, the southeastern lines were converted to broad gauge, with the exception of the Beachport - Millicent and the Wandilo - Glencoe line, which were closed down. The Kingston SE - Naracoorte was closed in the 1970s. The other southeastern lines, including the line to Heywood, have been out of use since the standardisation of the Adelaide - Melbourne and Maroona - Portland lines in 1995. There are regular calls for their standardisation.

See: Wikipedia

In the early 20th century pine plantations were established nearby. These were followed by two pulp and paper mills at Snuggery. This industry is today Millicent’s largest employer.

Woakwine Cutting - Postcards Tourist Information

The first SouthEastern Drainage Act was passed by Parliament in 1875.

Woakwine Cutting

In May 1957, a major drainage scheme began in the district, converting the previously existing swamps into suitable farming land.

Known as The Woakwine Cutting, it is an outstanding example of engineering. Accomplished by just two men, a D7 tractor was used to make a cutting through the Woakwine Range to drain swampland for farming.

The length of the cutting is one kilometre and the depth at the deepest point is 28.34 metres. The width of the cutting at the top is 36.57 metres and three metres at the bottom. There were 276,000 cubic metres of material removed using a new D7 tractor over a total of 5000 hours.

Woakwine is an Aboriginal name, meaning elbow or bent arm and refers to the shape of the large watercourse near the Woakwine homestead. The cutting has a viewing platform, information boards and machinery on display.

The Woakwine Cutting was constructed by local landowner Murray Mc Court from his property through the mountains to Lake George. The project was completed 3 years later in May 1960.

Bookmark this on Delicious

SEO-AU Links Best INFP Websites - Click here to Vote for this site!