Woakwine Cutting

In May 1957, a major drainage scheme began in the district, converting the previously existing swamps into suitable farming land.

Known as The Woakwine Cutting, it is an outstanding example of engineering. Accomplished by just two men, a D7 tractor was used to make a cutting through the Woakwine Range to drain swampland for farming.

The length of the cutting is one kilometre and the depth at the deepest point is 28.34 metres. The width of the cutting at the top is 36.57 metres and three metres at the bottom. There were 276,000 cubic metres of material removed using a new D7 tractor over a total of 5000 hours.

Woakwine is an Aboriginal name, meaning elbow or bent arm and refers to the shape of the large watercourse near the Woakwine homestead. The cutting has a viewing platform, information boards and machinery on display.

The Woakwine Cutting was constructed by local landowner Murray Mc Court from his property through the mountains to Lake George. The project was completed 3 years later in May 1960.

Located 10km north of Beachport. The local publicity declares that it is ‘probably Australia’s biggest engineering feat performed by just two people.

It did convert a large area of swamp into farmland. There’s an observation platform where you can admire the tenacity and hard work.














Bookmark this on Delicious

SEO-AU Links Best INFP Websites - Click here to Vote for this site!